‘THE STRIKE ACTION CONTINUES-UNIVERSITY WORKERS’ UNIONS SAY AFTER MEETING WITH FG.
After a meeting of the Joint Action Committee of the Non-academic staff of universities with the minister of Education, Mallam Adamu, earlier today, the committee has resolved to continue the Earned Allowance EA strike action.
The resolution is prior to the futile attempt to reach a successful compromise between the Federal Government and the striking workers today at the meeting held at Abuja alongside some government officials.
“Government at the meeting acknowledged the legitimacy of our grievances and assured that efforts are being made to correct the unfortunate situation. We shall be invited subsequently when concrete actions have been taken in that regard.” the letter sent to all branch leaders stated.
The letter was signed by the national leaders of the three sister unions; Comrade Samson Ugwoke for The Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities, SSANU, Comrade Peters Adeyemi for the Non Academic Staff Union, NASU, and Comrade Sanni Suleiman for the National Association Academic Technologists, NAAT. The letter addressed that all branches are to continue with the strike action which commenced on the 4th of December. It was stated further that;
“Branch leaders are hereby informed that the strike still continues and advises that no stone should be left unturned to ensure full compliance of the strike directive. No retreat. No surrender.”
OAU KILONSHELE reported the commencement of the indefinite strike action by the Non-teaching Staff unions of universities and the cause. The disagreement occurred as a result of the skewed ratio of 89:11 over the sharing of the Earned Allowance EA disbursed by the Federal Government few weeks back.
In the breakdown of payment by the Federal Government, 89 percent of the 23 billion naira, was alloted to ASUU while the other unions are to share the remaining 11 percent.