| The Office of Student Affairs held a meeting with the leadership of ASUU, SSANU, and NASU on Thursday, December 15, 2016 at the ASUU Secretariat on 2016/2017Bed Space Allocation.
The meeting, which was scheduled at the instance of the Student Affairs Division, was convened to achieve the following:
(a) To update the Unions’ leadership on the procedures and progress made so far in allocation of bed space to biological children and other students.
(b) To dispel insinuations or rumours going around the campus that biological criterion for bed space allocation had been cancelled for the 2016/2017academic session.
(c) The Unions’ Leadership was informed that:
· The 2016/2017 allocation process was designed to be completed before the resumption of the session on Monday, December 12, 2016.
· Bed space allocation through balloting and biological and discretionary allocation for all returning students was completed on or before Wednesday, November 30, 2016.
· Some biological children could not be allocated bed spaces because the Premier platform which was used for the process required that all students be registered as a precondition for allocation.
· 86 staff submitted request for biological allocation for freshers. These forms were kept aside and were allocated after the balloting process that was held on Thursday, December 15, 2016.
· The Student Affairs Division would continue to give priority to biological children in future bed space allocations.
· The Student Affairs Division has noted the communication and logistic constraints of the 2016/2017 bed space allocation process and that it will endeavour to eliminate these constraints in future exercise beginning from 2017-2018 session.
· The Unions will be informed regularly of developments in the process to facilitate effective communication between the Student Affairs Division and the various stakeholders on campus, especially those that may wish to make requests for bed space using the biological criterion.